Monday, August 06, 2007

Amp, revealed

So, in the description of this baby, they forgot to mention that time I used it. Some of you may remember: It was that September night, back in '99, when I was touring a lot and doing lots of blow. My SF days. I ran into Blake on the corner, his guitar in hand, and he was all I'm about to go record some kick ass records, wanna come? And I was all, if you quit looking at me all lovey-like that (did I mention that I was his muse for Chesterfield King? Yeah.). He was all you're just so... [I glared] uh, nevermind, yeah, no more love eyes, come one let's go rock out! So I go to what I thought was their studio and bam! it was a new venue that I had somehow missed and it was filled with people all ready for Blake to go on stage. (He was always showing up late. The rest of the band would get so pissed off. (I know: lead singers.))

Anyway, a few songs in, Blake, that dick, was all "hey everyone, I have a special guest for you!" He nods at the lights guy and a huge spotlight shines right on me. Uh, like, if I wanted to be performing wouldn't I be doing it with my own band, Super Pretty Fairy Dust?! Good God this guy was too much. Sooo of course the crowd is like freaking out and of course I'm looking regular hot but not on-stage hot and there's Blake the whole time, smirking. It's enough that he fooled me into to going to YET ANOTHER one of their shows (like their crowds weren't big enough), but now I have to perform? Too much. And he wonders why the love eyes piss me off.

So, at the very insistent star(power)-struck crowd's cheering, I finally get up on stage, flick Blake off, wave at the other guys in the band, take Blake's guitar, turn up the amp proper and rock out. I did one of their songs, Sea Foam Green, in a totally rearranged way so it was all hard and fast and energetic yet longing. There was still haunted, throaty longing.

By the end of the song, I was glistening (and, as my scale confirmed later, had dropped two pounds (on account of the rocking out)). So, song over, I'm catching my breath, flciking my head to the side to get the wet hair off my forehead, take the guitar off, pass it back to dumbfounded Blake (he hadn't known I was working on that cover; I bet he thought I was going to play my band's smash hit, "Blake Loves Me" (that showboater) . So I give his guitar back, turn around and turn the amp back to their respectable levels and am about to leave the stage. I mean, it was only like 10 seconds, but it hit me: the entire audience is silent. I finally look up, kinda shrug and, as if that sparked one giant, collective snapping-out-of-it, they take their mouths off the ground, refocus their rock-dazed eyes and then start yelling and whistling and clapping like crazy. I have to admit, it was a rush. It's true: you just never get used to it. It's like the first time every time. Which is more than I can say about blow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Madelyn said...

OMG!!! HILARIOUS!!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger sara said...

You also forget to mention that you made your miserable friend talk to Blake and request sea foam green because it was your birthday several years earlier. :p

6:57 AM  
Blogger starpower said...

Busted! Oh, I hope he wasn't too miserable asking. I have such a happy memory of that night. Hearing that song--and the happy birthday shout out--made my night!

10:45 AM  
Blogger joestrummerlives said...

That was just awesome. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

So freaking funny. Can you event a velvet goldmine alter ego for me as well?

9:06 AM  
Blogger Hector said...

i can see it now.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home