Monday, March 20, 2006

Starpower asks her wise readers for guidance

My days with Blaine (shiny black Mercedes) may be prematurely over. My insurance company called today to let me know the expected (though sad) news that Nancy is, in fact, totaled. And they'll give me a check for her worth, minus the five hundred dollar deductible. Turns out, her worth isn't all that high.

Clearly, my insurance company doesn't measure in love.

What's worse, they said that once an agreement is reached (as in you nod when they tell you it's totaled), that they only cover the rental car for five more days. As in, the check for your totaled car is not cut, signed, sent, and in your hand...no. The countdown of Operation Screw You We're Taking Blaine Back is underway once they hang up the phone. Despite your protestations that five days really isn't enough time to make the second biggest purchase of your life. Too bad.

Well, I'm not really going to go for that. It's ridiculously unfair and just plain impossible to get a car in that time. Only slightly less impossible is living in Los Angeles without a car at all.

And something tells me that the new car I'll get won't be a Mercedes. It's difficult to convey how sad that is. I've only been with Blaine for four days, but our love is deep, real. How I hate to let him go.

So, my friends, I could use some advice. I called the insurance company back and told them that I just need more time with the car and I am not sure I'll just sign off on the Nancy's y totaled, junk her nonsense. I also have legal insurance and know that I can get some legal counsel if need be.

So, do I accept that Nancy's totaled and try to replace her with the five grand from my insurance company? True, that's a super nice downpayment, but I didn't have a car payment previously and cannot necessarily afford one now. Payments would be regular and the car would be reliable.

Do I accept Nancy's totaled (truthfully, I might not have much choice about this) and use the five grand for a shitty used car? There may not be a regular payment but there may be intermittent repair costs of varying amounts.

Do I try to go for some lease to own option?

Do I need to get lawyers involved to pressure my insurance company to cover Blaine's rental for longer--or get them to get Dingbat to cover it?

I'm at a loss, folks. PLEASE leave comments with any ideas you've got.

Kisses.

7 Comments:

Blogger Madelyn said...

I think that you should ask Dad. He knows the most about cars and what deals there are now, as well as how reliable older models are.

Way to pass the buck, huh?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Hector said...

Yeah, you should ask Dad!

Definitely don't grapple with the insurance company to extend your rental. That will likely take weeks, meaning you keep the rental at the risk of eating the cost PLUS lawyer fees at the end.

I say take the money and run. Get yourself a moderately nice $10K-15K car, and use the $5K as the down payment. The monthlys wouldn't be that bad.

Or you can come visit and we can get all thelma and louise one night and make sure you leave with a nice ride.

8:56 AM  
Blogger mfleckca said...

don't lease to own...that's for people in trailers who want a bigscreen. site unseen, i'd be hesitant to fix up your car unless the damage is all cosmetic. lisa's (massage lady you met at heather's going away thing) husband works for hyundai (not as a car salesman) and he may have a line on good deals there. i know not the same LA-car-love-affair factor as blaine but they do have a kickass warranty. i'd definitely talk to a lawyer about your options/chances w/ dingbat.

12:16 PM  
Blogger mfleckca said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Do not lease. Do not buy a brand new car. Use the downpayment to buy a 3-4 year old Honda or Toyota, with mileage under a 100,000 or just a little over. You will not be sorry. It will be cute and you will drive it until the wheels come off. Major repairs will be somewhat predictable and you will have the car well after the time you pay off your loan.

That is my vote anyhow. And I am wearing my sexy new toroiseshell glass, so I look smart while I am doing it.

6:24 AM  
Blogger - said...

What happens if you just don't return the Mercedes?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Madelyn said...

I am going to star boycotting Starpower unless she posts anothet blog. I mean, really.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home