Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Which means more? Reputation or wack conviction?

So I wonder if Mel Gibson's career will be ruined. I don't think so. If Woody Allen is out making movies while making out with his one-time daughter and if Michael Jackson still manages to have hoards of fans worldwide despite too many things to list here, then Mel's despicable drunken display will all too soon be forgotten and he'll be back from his doubtless-publicist-mandated stint in rehab in no time. I don't think this is acceptable, but I think that's how it's going to go down.

It begs the question, though, when Mel does make his inevitable come-back in some hero role where he's so charming the (non-Jewish) masses forgive him, is he going to be grateful and pleased that he regained his career or is he going to feel defeated to discover that, gasp, the Jews don't own Hollywood after all?

1 Comments:

Blogger Madelyn said...

I knew I always found him revolting for a reason.

As far as his future, there is an interesting quote in today's Washington Post (you know, the publication so noted for its spot-on reporting of all things Hollywood):

"As a Jew, I find the prospect of Jews acting in concert to start a boycott very unpleasant," said Paramount producer and author Lynda Obst in a phone interview. "In one of the few areas we have power, I don't think we should act in what anti-Semites consider to be stereotypical ways. This could be an opportunoty where we say to anti-Semites that Jews don't boycott. I don't like blacklists; I don't like any form of blacklist."

I think an attitude like that would be the best justice of all, although I doubt if Mel would get the point.

As a side note, I wonder if the brouhaha around this would be nearly as loud if Mel had instead been making anti-Muslim remarks. I doubt it largely because there aren't (m)any Muslim studio heads or agents (in Hollywood, anway). It's sad that the monetary implications of such slurs are what really seem to be making this story resonate.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home